Ahh summer – the sun is out, the boat is uncovered and a trip to the lake or beach is imminent. Just like we need vacations to recharge the batteries and gear up for the next big push – so do your boilers. At least one time per year you should shut down your boiler and look for ways to increase its efficiency.
Poor maintenance is the primary factory leading to boiler failure. This fact makes it ever important to make your annual boiler shutdowns count. The following checklist is by no means exhaustive, but it will go a long way in increasing the useful life of your boiler and its efficiency for the coming year.
- Inspect all equipment in your boiler room, not just the boiler itself
- Examine external piping, valving, pumps and seals
- Check to make sure your water softener operates within its normal operating ranges
- Check pump alignment and motor assemblies
- Once the boiler is safely shut down and locked out, look for evidence of tube scaling or corrosion
- Replace any dried or cracked gaskets – spare gaskets can be found in WARE’s online parts store, BoilerWAREhouse.com
- Ensure there are no cracks in the refractory – if cracks are present repair as needed
- Check the furnace for cracking and missing chips
- Check the burner housing for any cracking or warping – replace baffles and diffusers if any cracking or warping is present
- Check and test flame scanner to ensure it is operating within normal parameters
- Check wiring and pressure controls for brittle or discolored wiring
- Closely examine the low water cutoff system, and make sure it is operating within normal ranges
- Check gauge glass for any cracking – replace as needed
If one of these check list items gets red flagged in your boiler inspection, what should you do? Here are a few options to consider:
- WARE service technicians have solutions to improve the reliability of your boiler and can be called on 24/7, 365 days per year.
- You can educate yourself and your team on how to troubleshoot and make routine boiler repairs. WARE’s Boiler University is taught by boiler industry professionals and can teach you the skills necessary to maintain a healthy boiler.
- Call WARE to execute your annual shutdown and service your boiler
- If you need replacement parts, check out BoilerWAREhouse.com